It was a dark and stormy night in the little town of Craysville, the place that I now call home. I could remember the one night that was exactly like this except moods are now different and emotions are no longer mixed. October 31st at 11:05 p.m.; that was the time and that was the day. Except now, It’s 5 years later and although what I’ve gained hasn’t completely made up for what I’ve lost, It’s coming pretty close. 5 years ago, I’ll admit that I was unsure of my decision to run. I wanted to hide from the world and shun them for the bad things that have happened to me and what was coming to me. For 5 years ago today at this moment is when I got the one call that would change my life forever.
Tip-tat tip-tat. That was the soft sound of the rainfall on the tin roof of the veranda. Our milky white house was perched on top of the hill laden with leaves. I sat and held Charlie next to me on the swing as he slept soundly. I loved the rain, I always had and I always will. So even in the bleakness of night, I was outside. That was my rule and I obeyed it and stuck to it like the laws of the United States. From the time it started raining until the time it ended, that was my “me” time. I could become one with the person I was inside and the one I pretended to be. I could ask my self questions that reflected on my past and foreshadowed my future. Supposedly answering yourself is a sure sign of insanity but for me, it’s just a way to get an answer. This way I was not forced to share my private thoughts with anyone but me. As I contemplated, I heard the sudden ringing of the phone. I went to go pick up the phone but I could not understand who was calling. The caller id said that it was the Johnsonville hospital. Why would they be calling our house at such a late hour? Anyway, I answered and trying my best to have the utmost curtsy said “Hello, Martin residence.”
“Yes, is this Emmy Martin?” the woman on the other line said with a pleasant yet urged tone.
“Yeah, I’m Emmy. Who is this?”
“I’m Carol from the Johnsonville hospital. I’m sorry to inform you that Mr. and Mrs. John Martin are currently in ICU.”
“How? They were just visiting some friends at a work party.” I had a delayed response due to the fact that I was still in shock from the breathtaking news.
“I’m not allowed to release any information on them at the moment. If you wish to see them, just come down to the Johnsonville hospital on the corner of North Maple and Castle Court.”
“Alright I’ll be there as soon as I can.”
That night was absolutely and positively the worst night of my life and I will never forget it.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

7 comments:
Excerpt from my still in progress book without a title!!! any suggestions!?
Amy
Amy, I was a little late to answer your poll question and I just wanted to say that The Seven Habits of Highly Effective teens has really inspired me to do more with my life and take control. My little Covey Puppy(Sean Covey) has really filled that empty hole in my heart. Every time I read this book my eyes just fill with tears of joy and happiness
Bethany
AMY!! This is really good. You'll have to tell me what happens next!!!
AWESOME JOB!!!
~Bethany~
Amy thanx for all the comments! I love going on my blog and seeing that someone has commented me! by the way awesome story but I'm curious about the ending!!!
~kendal
I also loved having Jack as our sub that was a lot of fun!!!!
You do know how to spell my name don't you its K-E-N-D-A-L!!!!!! not kennal or kenal!!!he he! and what do you mean "you people"!!!!!!!!
~KENDAL
Also pokey is really cute!!!
Amy- You seem like you are developing a great story! I want to know more!! +10
Post a Comment